Tarragon Apple Tuna Salad With Walnuts
- 1 medium apple
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces white tuna, canned in water, unsalted
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Core and chop the apple. Finely chop the celery and onion. Place onion and olive oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool for several minutes.
- Drain tuna well and place in a mixing bowl. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Stir in the celery, onion mixture, mayonnaise, tarragon, lemon juice and sugar. Mix until well blended.
- Add the chopped apples and walnuts and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving.
- Serve on lettuce leaves, in a wrap or with bread sticks or low-sodium crackers.
- If fresh tarragon is unavailable, substitute fresh basil or parsley.
- Use low-fat mayonnaise to reduce fat to 17 grams. Note sodium content will be higher.
- For a lower protein diet, adjust portion to 1/2 cup.